Nearly EVERYONE will eventually find themselves stopped by law enforcement. Whether your tags are expired, you are speeding, or you robbed a bank (hopefully not this one), there are a number of best-practices that can eliminate miscommunications and keep everybody safe.
Here’s our suggestions:
BEFORE you are pulled over, remember your basic rights:
– You have the right to remain silent
-You have the right to refuse search of your vehicle
– If you are not under arrest, you have the right to leave
– You have the right to an attorney (ask for one immediately if you are arrested)
– Remember you are protected by the constitution regardless of immigration status
The blue lights appear in you mirror, you are being stopped! Remember to stay calm and pull over to the nearest safe and well-lit area.
Next, follow these guidelines:
– Turn off the car, apply emergency brake, and turn on interior light
– Prepare all documentation: driver’s license, registration, insurance, etc
– Roll down the window between 1/4 t0 1/2 way down
– Place your hands on steering wheel
THINGS TO REMEMBER
You will most-likely be asked these questions:
– Where are you going?
– Where are you coming from?
– What are you doing?
– Do you know why you’re being stopped?
The best practice here is to either answer truthfully or exercise you’re right to remain silent. Do not lie! It will only create suspicion, probable cause, and further trouble.
If you are stopped, it is best to practice common sense. There are a number of simple things to remember that can keep you out of trouble:
– Be polite and always say: “Yes, sir/ma’am.” You are dealing with people of authority
– Keep your hands visible at all times: do not reach in glove box, pockets, etc.
without requesting permission and stating what you doing
– Stay calm and collected
– Do not attempt to flee or run from police
– If you feel unsafe, clearly and calmly communicate your feelings
– Make notes or a record of encounter
Remember if you are arrested: exercise your rights and contact an attorney or bail bondsman, like your friendly Los Angels Bail Bonds company writing this article. You will always have the best chance to defend yourself if you are not in jail. Be safe at all costs!! Call if you need us: 800-884-1222, we’ve got your back. And, please don’t rob a bank, it will not end well…
October 12, 2015 / Ryan Serey