Imagine a world where people have rights to their own bodies? Seems logical but far from the reality as women continue to face assaults on their reproductive rights.
Recently President Trump privately approved legislation allowing state and local governments to withhold federal funding for reproductive health care providers, including Planned Parenthood-a nonprofit organization that works worldwide to provide health care services and education about sexual and reproductive health.
“Despite repeated promises that he would protect and invest in women’s health, President Trump has once again shown that his word’s carry little weight,” Heidi Williamson , senior policy analyst for the Women’s Health Rights Program at the Center for American Progress, told The New York Times. “Trump’s actions are creating very real and damaging consequences for millions of women and their families, inflicting direct harm on already vulnerable communities.”
But before we delve further, one thing that needs to be made clear is that although Planned Parenthood receives federal funding, the organization does not use public funding for abortion. It’s vital to clarify this notion given that Trump’s decision to give states the power to deny resources stemmed from a lie-the lie that Planned Parenthood receives public funding for abortion.
Planned Parenthood receives government funding from two sources: the Title X Family Planning Program and Medicaid. However, According to the Department of Health and Human Service, “by law, Title X funds may not be used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning.”
Moreover, only 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s total services were dedicated to abortion in. The other 97% of services were for contraception, treatment and tests for sexually transmitted diseases, cancer screenings, and other women’s health services.
Therefore, what will the repurcussions be upon terminating the funds to an organization that serves as a trusted health-care provider that delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of women, men and young people worldwide?
By Samantha Romero